1.1. What do I need before I start?¶
The following essential items needed to start are already included in each STEM kits available from our WEB store:
- 5 V / 2 A micro USB power supply,
- 4GB (up to 32GB) Class 10 micro SD card with pre-loaded Red Pitaya OS,
- Ethernet cable.
Additional Required Items not supplied with the STEM kits:
- computer with internet browser (Chrome browser recommended),
- router with DHCP server enabled and access to the internet.
Red Pitaya should not be powered from a power supply that is <2A or has a very thin power wires, since this will reflect in abnormal behavior of the device, causing re-boots and network disconnections. Same problem might appear if Red Pitaya is powered directly from USB on a PC or HUB that cannot provide enough power or when using bad powering cable.
Windows 7/8 users should install Bonjour Print Services,
otherwise access to
*.local addresses will not work.
Windows 10 already supports mDNS and DNS-SD, so there is no need to install additional software.
Before STEM kits were introduced all Red Pitaya kits were shipped with a blank SD cards. If you have such a kit, please follow the steps in the Prepare SD card paragraph to properly load Red Pitaya OS to your SD card.
Access to the internet is required only when:
- upgrading Red Pitaya OS,
- installing applications from the marketplace,
- unlocking applications,
- and using visual programming.